Tuesday, July 31, 2018

CHAINLINKS: August 2018

August's Chainlinks have arrived! Roughly once a month we pick the brains of our friends and colleagues to find out what's inspiring them... Today we have lists from Ra Diaz (Suicidal Tendencies), Gene Fowler (Wetnurse), and Chuck Stern (Stern).

øøø

Ra Diaz (bassist for Suicidal Tendencies)

1) The Rogue to Nowhere by Jason Christopher

Jason Christopher might not sound familiar to everyone, but he has been a hired gun / sideman to many of music’s biggest artists, from Corey Taylor and Stone Sour to Ministry and much more. 
I first met Jason when I was trying to find my band’s dressing room at a big festival in Spain last year. I opened a curtain and there he was, laying on a couch, with a “who tha fuck are you?” look on his face and asking if someone could get him a barber to come cut his hair. We said hi, sat down, talked shit for a while, he went to his stage I went to mine and that was it. I didn’t know much about him but I did know he is one of those “love him or hate him” kind of guy. I’m still hesitant about the final answer, but one thing is for sure: I wanted to know his story. 
We reconnected in LA, went to shows, events, played together, and became friends. And after hearing about his incredible life journey directly from him, I’m just beyond excited that now everyone can get to know him through his book. His life story. Raw, funny, sad, heroic, pathetic, hopeful, real, unreal, everything you could imagine has happened to him. 
Don’t want to spoil it too much, so just make sure to grab a copy and  see if you can end up loving this very special individual as much as I did. Or hate him as much as some others do. The only sure thing is that once you start it you won’t be able to put it down. 
http://jasonchristopher.store



2) Beyond the Streets (art exhibit)

A fantastic opportunity to discover the beauty of street art and its infinite ways to make a powerful statement. 
Curated by Roger Gastman who co-produced Banksy’s documentary ‘Exit Through The Gift Shop’, BTS is a 40,000+ square feet exhibition of graffiti, street art and beyond, celebrating the the world's most recognizable modern art movement. 
Open until August 26th, 2018. 
https://www.beyondthestreets.com

3) Louis Cole (Musician)

Never heard of him before, but a few days ago I started seeing a couple friends reposting a video of this guy playing drums and I was hooked right away:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhJlsxQnVvu/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=18qmkcjmk3p7i 
At first I thought that was it, but I then started realizing and discovering the amazing talent this guy has. He plays every single instrument on his songs. This dude can PLAY EVERYTHING. And sing and write and pretty much do whatever he wants. Such an incredible, fun, and exciting musician. 

His solo album is about to come out August 10th, and after checking out his first single, to say I’m excited would be an understatement. Keep an eye on him and enjoy:


øøø

Gene Fowler (Wetnurse)

1) Joe Rogan Experience




2) Deniece Williams - "Free"

I've been starting each day with it.



3) Grounding

Putting my feet in sand, grass, or sea. Connecting with something greater than you.


øøø

Chuck Stern (Stern)


1) Brutal Truth - Sounds of the Animal Kingdom




2) Buzzoven - At a Loss




3) Stephen King - "The Langoliers" ABC miniseries 





No comments:

Post a Comment