Thursday, October 26, 2017

CHAINLINKS: October 2017

Welcome to the new installment of Chainlinks! At the end of each month, we at The Chain reach out to friends and colleagues to find out what's been inspiring them. This time around we have some horror and Halloween-themed recommendations from Dylan Scharf of The Creepy Creeps, Mike McGinnis of Plaque Marks, Matt Kepler of Cult of Hades, and Carlos Cardenas, graphic designer/singer/producer of Precious Death.

Carlos Cardenas - Graphic Designer / Singer / Producer of Precious Death
1. Album: Misfits - Famous Monsters (1999)
This album right here fits the season so well. It has songs about monsters and horror stories and often written in such a cartoony way that embodies everything there is to love about the Halloween season. 
Key Song: Pumpkin Head
2. Album: King Diamond - Abigail (1987)
King Diamond writes perfect Horrific suspenseful concept albums, Abigail being my favorite record. Every song on this record paints a picture of the tale. When I was 12 I used to sit in front of a CD player and read the lyrics along with the album and I felt it put me right into the story. 
Key Song: Abigail
3. Movie: The Void (2016)
This movie is a newer Horror film I saw recently that I fell in love with. The Void has an nostalgic feel to it that reminds me of 80's B films. There's so much gore and so many twists in this movie, you never really know what's going to happen next. I can't recommend this movie enough.

Matt Kepler of Cult of Hades
Matt Kepler is a multi-talented artist and craftsman in New York City. Under the name Cult of Hades, he specializes in handmade leatherwork, from wallets to guitar straps, and puts priority on the humane treatment of animals and sustainable processing methods. Some of the artists currently rocking his guitar straps include Chelsea Wolfe and members of KMFDM, The Black Dahlia Murder, and Mutoid Man.

1) Cocteau Twins
I love the season, getting dark & cold. Anytime Fall rolls around Cocteau Twins are always on my list for embodying the vibe I feel. Their sound is like a pale, cold sky.
2) Jan Van Oost
Really love Jan Van Oost's shadowy figures.
3) The Haunting
For Halloween movies, of course the original Halloween is my favorite, but I also dig the 1963 The Haunting.

Mike McGinnis of Plaque Marks
(Photo by Francois Carl Duguay)
Mike is the guitarist/vocalist of Plaque Marks and formerly Fight Amp. Plaque Marks' debut EP Anxiety Driven Nervous Worship comes out today, October 27th, on Learning Curve Records and Reptilian Records. The band tours the US this fall with Unsane.

Since I recently wrote about a few of my favorite horror movies and went with some obvious choices - https://svbterranean.net/2017/10/10/svb-halloween-theater-plaque-marks-and-vitriol/ - I thought I'd list a few more random and campy Halloween themed things I'm currently into. I'm pretty much always consuming some form of sci fi or horror, so this is just what I've been digging into the last couple weeks.

1. Tales From The Crypt (whole HBO series)
I used to love this show when it was current. I recently went back to the top and started rewatching. Most of it really holds up and a lot of the episodes have a surprisingly awesome cast. The comic book style horror is spot on.
2. Cinemassacre's 'Monster Madness'
Fans of James Rolfe, or "The Angry Video Game Nerd", may be familiar with this. Pretty much a month long YouTube series every October revisiting and reviewing horror across multiple time periods and sub genres. It's a relatable take for me since he grew up in my area and we're roughly the same age.
3. HP Lovecraft's 'The Call of Cthulhu'
A lot different from those first two, but it just so happens to be what I'm reading right now. I love cosmic horror and somehow never read this in its entirety. I just started, so far so good. 

Dylan Scharf of The Creepy Creeps (ex-Locust, Struggle)

1. Ghost
I had never even heard of this band, but happened to get to see them when they opened for Iron Maiden this year. They are far more melodic than the metal I usually listen to but they were so tight and put on such an amazing show, one that was evocative of a Satanic church ceremony (not that I have ever been to one, all religion is pretty ridiculous in my opinion). Not usually the kind of thing I am into but I was blown away by all aspects of the one and only “Ghost”!
2. Hymn
Another band I just happened to come across is the almighty “Hymn” from Sweden. This is a two piece band that is reminiscent to me of some early Neurosis, especially the vocals. The song I am attaching here is called “Serpent” and will not disappoint. Listen to it all the way through and as loud as possible. Certainly one of the heaviest bands I have heard recently!
3. George A. Romero
I do not know where to start as far as movies are concerned, especially since it is nearing the best time of year, when the veil between worlds begins to thin. That being said, I have been a long time fan of George Romero, being introduced to his first film and college thesis “Night of the Living Dead” by my father at the age of 8. His next two movies “Dawn of the Dead” and “Day of the Dead” definitely helped to create a legacy of horror that would continue to go unmatched until his unfortunate death last year. If you have not watched all three I highly recommend that you do, and if you only want to watch one of them I would have to suggest “Day of the Dead” (1985).

No comments:

Post a Comment