Thursday, May 25, 2023

MIRAKLER - How I Became the Devil


MIRAKLER: Pittsburgh trio delivers "noise rock that would make Steve Albini blush" on Reptilian Records debut "How I Became the Devil"; first single "Egg" streaming now

From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Mirakler's debut full-length, How I Became the Devil, will be released June 23rd on Reptilian Records.

Stream first single, "Egg," here: https://www.invisibleoranges.com/mirakler-egg/


Harsh, grimy tones. Sweet, steamrolling riffs. Vocals exuding pure pain. Over the course of 15 tracks, Mirakler spits out a sound that lands in a dark crack between Unsane, Today Is The Day, and Nirvana. The exuberance of Mirakler's twisted, metallic noise rock is intensified by the volatility of frontman Daniel Gene's voice as it ricochets between wounded pleas and full-bore screams, calling to mind the emotional storms of the great Steve Austin.

Invisible Oranges reports: "The album evokes the crushing sense of anguish that accompanies sludge and perhaps the sounds of primordial grunge from the late ‘80s into a pained concoction that attacks the senses beyond the ears." In new single "Egg," they detect "sounds of early noise rock that would make Steve Albini blush."

Reptilian Records boss Chris X, who has marched to his own beat, a step ahead of the masses, since founding the label in the '90s, says: "Honestly, I listen to this record every day. Some days I can't think of anything to follow it with, so I listen to it again and still notice new things!"

Mirakler frontman Daniel Gene states: "I like the feeling of danger in music. I’ve always strived to recreate the feeling I had as a child when I first heard Public Enemy’s 'It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back.' I realize I heard that through the naive ears of a 9-year-old, but it struck me. I had no clue what I was actually listening to. Not going to pretend like I did. But that sound did something to me. And that was the initial attraction. I was drawn to that immediacy: that danger."

"The theme of 'How I Became the Devil' is communication and, typically, the breakdown in its absence," states Gene. "Basically, how our inability to properly communicate builds up layer upon layer of scar tissue comprised of different fears."

How I Became the Devil was recorded and mixed by Scot Moriarty at Backroom Studios, and mastered by Brad Boatright at Audiosiege.

The band hits the road for a Northeast tour in July, including dates with Cherubs, and will play the venerable No Coast Fest in Texas in October.

Tracklist:
1) The Good Thief
2) Ecstatic Fields of Love and Grace
3) Egg
4) I Am Violence
5) The Bad Thief
6) Instant Drugs
7) This Is Brit Pop
8) Wet Ground Brings Rain
9) The Fireworks and the Stars
10) Kenny
11) How Many More Will Die
12) Exodus (A Continuous Mutation)
13) My Battery Is Low and It's Getting Dark
14) Christ B.C.
15) The Hill

Lineup:
Daniel Gene - guitar, vocals
Will Novalis - bass
Matt Langille - drums
John Kerr - drums on the album

No comments:

Post a Comment