Thursday, August 3, 2023

FOTOCRIME - "Night Must Fall" Video


FOTOCRIME has released the video for their most recent track, "Night Must Fall," off of their upcoming album, Accelerated.

You can watch it now, here: https://youtu.be/WlKjB45Z-bo

Fotocrime's Ryan Patterson explains of the track:

NIGHT MUST FALL My mind is often filled with cinematic and literary imagery as I write songs. Novels and films have always made my imagination overflow, whether it’s high art or glorious schlock, and the sense of adventure they inspire in me is something I attempt to inject into my songwriting.

The album closer on Accelerated, “Night Must Fall” begins with a marimba melody I wrote that was inspired by Carl Orff’s “Gassenhauer”, which is used perfectly in the score of my favorite movie, Terrence Malick’s 1973 masterpiece Badlands. Young Widows’ drummer Jeremy McMonigle performed the marimba part on “Night Must Fall” and it weaves a thread of tense melancholy throughout the song.

The chord progression in “Night Must Fall” is loosely inspired by the traditional folk song “Come All You Fair And Tender Ladies”, in particular the version by Conway Savage. On the recording we switched up instruments a bit, Will played the rhythm guitar and I played bass VI. Nick played and wrote the main guitar melodies and he and I sing the lead vocals together through the entire song.

Having been raised in the Louisville, Kentucky, area, the darkness of Middle America and the shadows of Southern Gothic mythology have always haunted me. The lyrics to “Night Must Fall” take a bit of my own foggy memories and combine them with fictitious tales of youth’s innocence lost, ala Flannery O’Connor and Joyce Carol Oates.

When I was a kid, a few friends and I used to walk far out on train tracks in my small hometown until we made it to an old train trestle that was high above a small pond. We’d jump off the trestle into the pond below. The pond was shallow, and we’d hit our feet and knees on the rocks at the bottom when we’d jump in. In “Night Must Fall” I imagine what would have happened if one of us hadn’t survived that jump and the rest of us swore to keep it secret for the rest of our lives…

Accelerated will be released on limited edition vinyl on Artoffact Records on September 8th. Preorder, here.

Video for "Night Must Fall" directed and edited by Ryan Patterson // Cinematography by Tommy Johns // Color correction by Joe Watson // Antagonists: Emily Dean, Sarah Reesor, Brian Roundtree, Luke Stevens, Robert Schardein // Best Boy: Marc Fulkerson

No comments:

Post a Comment