Friday, April 28, 2017

CHAINLINKS: April 2017

Each month, The Chain's Brandon, Curran and Justin choose guests to share three links of interest each; their picks can be anything that has resonated with them recently, music-related or otherwise. April's contributors include Nikki Sneakers, Luke Henshaw, and Rich Johannes Weinberger.

Nikki Sneakers: 

1. Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle - Inferno
After a recent re-romance with Preacher I dove back into this - never disappoints. A sci-fi Dante's Inferno meets C.S Lewis's The Great Divorce on acid.
3. Bel Canto - Shimmering, Warm & Bright (1992)
Essential warm weather listening.


Luke Henshaw:

1. I had a dream a while back that my old band was playing on a boat out in the ocean and we were communicating with a bunch of whales. Maybe I had too much chocolate before bed, but since then I've always been interested in whales and the sounds they make.
Why Do Whales Sing?
2. My son and I are currently working on a project and the theme of it is starting to touch the interiors of existentialism, so I figured I'd do some research.
20 Great Existential Films You Need to Watch
3. Because if I could stay in space for just a little bit longer...
Scientists Developed a Way to Make DMT Trips Last Longer Than Ever

Rich Johannes Weinberger: 
[Gatherers (Equal Vision Records)]

1. Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes
I'm not sure how I managed to procrastinate listening to this for the past three years. It's my favorite 2014 album of 2017.

2. Adrian Tomine - Killing and Dying
In my opinion, one of the best cartoonists of our generation. Tomine is a master at exploring various human conditions often within the span of brief stories and motifs. His illustrations are beautifully intimate and nuanced at the same time.
3. Doris Salcedo - A Flor de Piel
I saw this installation when it came to the Guggenheim a couple years ago. Prior to that, I had never heard of Salcedo's work but quickly became a devout admirer. Every now and then I find myself revisiting this particular work and how it emoted with me the first time I saw it. It was also the first bit of inspiration I experienced in terms of the vibes I ended up exploring on the forthcoming Gatherers record.

No comments:

Post a Comment